Kennett battles for quarterfinal victory at The Bash

By Nathaniel Ford

FARMINGTON – In a matchup of Division II teams, the Kennett girls held on for a 48-35 victory over Sanborn and advanced to the semifinals of The Bash.

Kennett, the defending Division II champions, had to fight for this victory. “We won D-II last year, so everyone looks forward to playing us and we are going to get their best game,” said their head coach Larry Meader. 

The Eagles were given a tough game today by Sanborn, with nothing coming easy for them. Sanborn came out early and picked up a 6-4 lead behind a pair of baskets from Kaylee Fortin. Kennett answered by going on an 11-0 run driven by a trio of three pointers from Kaley Goodhart, and they led 15-8 entering the break. 

Some teams would roll over following such a big run, but the Indians did not. “They brought a lot of energy, and you could tell that they wanted the game,” said Meader. Sanborn was playing with high intensity throughout the contest, and it showed.

Despite this, Kennett extended their lead to 10 points, and the game entered halftime with a score of 26-16. Their offense was flowing through Goodhart, who knocked down two more triples in the second quarter, bringing her to five in the half. She had 17 points and was outscoring the Indians single handedly. 

The Eagles were looking to shut down Sanborn’s top scorer Emma Gillis, as well as controlling the paint on the defensive end. Meader felt that this was not accomplished well enough in the first half, so he made a change. 

“We went to a zone in the second half, and it took a while for Sanborn to get adjusted,” Meader said. Kennett switched from their usually man-to-man defense, and it worked out well for them. 

The Eagles were able to extend their lead in the third quarter to as much as 16 points by containing their opponents for much of the period. Center Samantha Sidoti was valuable in the third, pouring in 7 points and leading them to a 42-27 scoreline entering the fourth. 

While this deficit proved too large for a comeback, Sanborn fought until the final whistle. They held the Eagles scoreless until 4:30 left in the quarter. Their defense was intense, as they forced countless turnovers and tough shots. However, it was not enough, and Kennett finished with a 48-35 victory.

Kennett was led by a game-high 21 points and five three-pointers from Goodhart, as well as 16 from Sidoti. Sanborn had a balanced offensive output, with Gillis and Fortin each scoring 8 points. Maya Thompson and Ashyln Gallant chipped in with 5 points. 

Kennett advances to the semifinals of The Bash, where they will play Division IV Franklin tomorrow afternoon at 3:00.

Check out the full photo gallery of the action by KJ Cardinal…